Thursday 16 May 2013

Spituk Wanderings


The second and third day was spent relaxing – in its utter complete sense, much similar to the previous day, except for the fact that I didn’t sleep quite as much! It consisted of only half a day of sleep as opposed to the previous day when I slept pretty much throughout the day to prevent altitude sickness.



I came down to the living room in the morning and was once again met with the now familiar ‘’Julay’’ from everyone which is pretty much a multipurpose word in the Bhoti/Ladakhi vocabulary which means ‘Thank you’, ‘Welcome’, ‘Hello’, ‘Good Bye’, and many more words! I guess, I can understand why when I look around this beautiful country and see mountains of all shapes and sizes. Some have vast and jagged peaks, whilst others have smooth and rolling hills. Some have snow sprinkled on top of their husky brown silhouettes that reminds you of sugar sprinkled over chocolate cake whilst others are plain, barren and brown bastions that are crowned with the passing ring of clouds. Yet, they all exude a certain sense of awe and grandeur that is almost universal. So, the universality of ‘’Julay’’ only makes sense in this land. Communication doesn’t need words, it’s the context and human reality that almost always works at a more primordial level.

For instance, when I communicate with Ibi – she doesn’t have an extensive Hindi vocabulary and so we find a common ground that includes a wonderful combination of broken Hindi and Bhoti and a vast array of body language that always ends up in making a connection. So, using these she asked me if I wanted some tea. Now, I’m not an avid tea/chai-drinker. I indulge in coffee from time to time but I resolutely used to avoid drinking tea. But, in these cool and chilly environs it’s just not possible to refuse a piping hot cup of tea that does a good job of warming you up – especially in the mornings and evenings. So, it turns out – I’ve become a pretty heavy tea-drinker by my standards which includes at least 2 cups a day!

Breakfast is a pretty heavy ordeal and is either a traditional Ladakhi breakfast like khambir (a puffy and sturdy kind of bread) with either apricot jam (which is a local product) or eggs. Otherwise, its just bread, butter and different variations of eggs (scrambed, poached or fried). There’s also a heavy serving of tea/coffee served along with some Ladakhi biscuits whose local name I haven’t quite yet mastered.
This was followed by, Otsal, the nephew of my host taking me along to show me his beautiful village of Spituk. We ambled along from the back gate of the house into little cobbled roads that wound their way through the village. We passed by grazing cattle, a little pond overflowing with algal blooms, and donkeys making their way to the river for a drink. We crossed a little bridge over a little stream that was basically a ladder laid on the ground – shaky but gets the job done.



This led us out into the open fields where I could hear a distant murmur of ‘’Khor! Khor! Khor!’’ which is a rhythmic song that farmers sing when they’re ploughing their fields – it just means ‘’Move forward’’ and it’s addressed towards the oxen doing the heavy work. Every abled person from the village comes to the fields and works one field per day and then based on a rotational schedule moves onto the next field for the next day. Its human cooperation at its finest and noblest working in a profession that makes civilization itself possible. But enough social commentary, because this was a sight to see! Open fields, not yet seeded and the mighty Himalayas stood guard over them in the background. In the middle flowed a rather calm tributary of the Indus which hasn’t yet reached its full flow because the ice atop the glacial peaks hasn’t completely melted. We walked towards the river and saw plenty of animals and birds gathered there for a drink. This included some stray dogs and cats from the village, 2 donkeys that we’d seen earlier, a few wild horses and some oxen. It also included a little bird that made a weird pig-like sound and Otsal told me what it’s called but the name escapes me right now.




Otsal then told me about a little woodland across the river that houses some foxes and rabbits and so I asked if it was alright to cross it. More than okay with it, he immediately jumped into the empty river bank and walked briskly towards the wetter portion of the river. I meanwhile took a few more pictures from the camera slung onto my neck that I’d been using ever since we left for the walk. I then followed Otsal towards the river and we crossed it by skipping over dry stones that were relatively stable in the calm river – except I missed one and got one of my shoes wet and my pants as well, about ankle deep. Otsal found that amusing; probably thinking what a clumsy oaf the city man was. Anyways since I’d gotten one of my shoes and pant legs wet I decided to wet them both and walked along the river which was relatively shallow, again because of the late glacial melts. It felt really good to walk through that lovely cool water in what was a relatively warm day.




We crossed over and saw a magnificent sight of the woodland at the foot of some mighty gigantic mountains. I’m pretty sure I heard that weird pig-bird call again but Otsal said it was just my imagination. Maybe I was becoming obsessed with the pig-bird. We trudged along the outskirts of the forest as Otsal claimed there were wolves there too but I was apprehensive because it was too small a patch of forest to support animals the size of wolves. Nevertheless, we kept our distance and intently listened for wolf-howls. Fortunately, we heard none.

We then realized it was lunch time and we’d been walking for a good 2 hours (it’s a lot of walking) and we were hungry. So we turned back and were ready to cross the river again. My shoes and pant were almost dry by now but not completely so I decided to walk in the water again; the last experience was kinda cool and made me feel like I’m really in the great outdoors (Yes, because the sight of vast open fields and mountains all around me wasn’t enough.)




We once again took the same path back home and Otsal was kind enough to smile for one of the photographs which was a rarity because all the others include his back to the camera as he pushed forth; perhaps a bit annoyed at my slow pace. But, I made up for it by giving him some of the chocolates I’d brought from Canada when we got home, which I think more than made up for my slow canter. Also, my pants and shoes were completely dry by the time we got home. That’s the Ladakhi sun for you!
Lunch was served, which is once again a heavy affair with mostly a generous serving of rice topped with steaming hot veggies which usually include potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and peas in a thick masala sauce. Sometimes there’s even a lil piece of chicken or mutton plopped in as a treat! Yet it is the Buddhist lunar month which means Ibi and her daughter-in-law (Aunty Tsering as I call her) don’t eat meat for the entirety of this month but they see to it that me, Angmo (Amo for short) and Uncle Tsewang (as I call the host) get a piece from time to time.

The afternoons and evenings were pretty much spent lazing away on my bed getting some reading done. Completed the ‘’Immortals of Meluha’’ and started the second book of the series, titled ‘’The Secret of The Nagas’’. By the time I had finished it mid-way it was late evening and I decided to make my way down for some socializing with the family. Turned out, it was time for dinner.

Dinner is the heaviest meal of the day and it includes all of us sitting together watching television most of the times and right now that means the Indian Premier League – go Mumbai (Amo is a Chennai supporter – how very disappointing)! Dinner’s quite similar to lunch except the quantities are larger and my hosts insist on making me fat by the end of my sojourn. Also, another good idea that I’ve adopted since I’ve come here is drinking boiled water – as in, not the kind where you boil it, then cool it, then drink it. This is piping hot water that you drink along with your food that drastically reduces any chances of catching a cold or a sore throat.
That’s pretty much the routine I’ve settled into for the two days until school begins. And it’s a lovely departure from the fast and manic pace of city life. Here, you take life in through a lens that offers so much more in terms of revealing the human journey which basically boils down to three factors:

1)      Kind People
2)      Good Food
3)      Amazing Sights

And well, Ladakh has it all. And a man can’t ask for more.



Also, every morning I awake to a wonderful view that just doesn’t lose its grandeur or it’s ability to make me think of a wonderful quote from that awe-inspiring HBO series ‘’From The Earth To The Moon’’ by Tom Hanks, where astronaut Dave Scott says – ‘’There’s something to be said about exploring beautiful places. It’s good for the spirit.’’



No comments:

Post a Comment